About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Spookie and this is my blog! Some of you may know me from my Twitch Channel (Twitch.tv/spookiethegamer), where I play different games that I take an interest in. Or you may also know my Instagram account (Spookiethegamer) where I post small thoughts on games or movies that I might have on my mind; Most notably my weekly, "Movie Monday with Fred!", posts where Fred (the skull you see in all my profile pics) suggests a movie for you guys to go check out if you haven't yet! And we'll be doing the same thing here! As the blog name suggests, we'll be posting everything from Movie/Game Reviews, MMwF and anything we want to ramble about! Thanks for stopping by And I hope you enjoy your stay!

Followers

Monday, January 9, 2023

Movie Monday With Fred!- Broken Arrow (1996)


 

 

This Monday Fred recommends: Broken Arrow (1996)

 


Does anyone remember this movie? I feel like this one that gets lost in the discussion of decent action flicks from the 90s.

A rogue U. S. pilot steals two nuclear missiles and threatens the country. Now his former co-pilot, with the help of a local park ranger, are the only ones that can stop him. 

This really is a solid little action movie. It's nothing too flashy, but it is a fun way to spend a couple of hours. And sometimes that's all you need. Not every action movie has to be a classic or defining film of the genre, sometimes its nice to just watch a movie that knows exactly what it is. And all it wants to do is entertain you. 

 
 And entertain it does. You have many different shootouts in different locations, like a mine and train, along with a few hand-to-hand fights. And you have a little cat-and-mouse moments as our protagonists try to survive groups of armed men, while our villain puts his plan into action. Unfortunately, one of the major problems with a movie like this is that it's simple and not much to it. And to keep it an unspoiled experience for first time there's not much to really talk about without getting into the details of the set-pieces, and I don't like spoiling that anymore than actual plot details.

 
The cast here are all pretty good. Christian Slater, as Riley, does a good job as the betrayed co-pilot, and friend, trying to stop the nefarious plans from taking hold. Samantha Mathis, as Terry, is a pretty good side-kick to Riley as she is given a bit to do and isn't too much of a damsel in distress. But, it's John Travolta, as Deakins, that is the absolute standout! He chews every bit of scenery he's in. It might be a little over-the-top, but it is fun to watch him as he looks like he's having a blast playing the villain. Something he'd lean into a a little more the following year with Face/Off (1997).

 
Behind the camera you have the legendary John Woo directing here! This is his second American film, and while his harder edges from his more violent Hong Kong films have been a little sanded down, his still delivers some really well directed action scenes! Not as balletic as something like Hard Boiled (1992) or The Killer (1989), but a slightly more grounded take on the gunfights he's known for.

Overall, I think this is a movie that is worth at least one viewing. Just a good competent action movie that will surely entertain you until the very end! Besides, you know that twangy guitar musical cue they used for Dewey's theme in Scream 2 (1997)? Well, they lifted it from this film! The first time I heard it in Scream 2 I was like, "I know this song!".

Have you seen Broken Arrow (1996)? Let me know in the comments below!

We'll be back soon with another recommendation! So, don't forget to give me a follow to stay up to date! Until then, I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment