About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Spookie and this is my blog! Some of you may know me from my Twitch Channel (Twitch.tv/spookiethegamer), where I play different games that I take an interest in. Or you may also know my Instagram account (Spookiethegamer) where I post small thoughts on games or movies that I might have on my mind; Most notably my weekly, "Movie Monday with Fred!", posts where Fred (the skull you see in all my profile pics) suggests a movie for you guys to go check out if you haven't yet! And we'll be doing the same thing here! As the blog name suggests, we'll be posting everything from Movie/Game Reviews, MMwF and anything we want to ramble about! Thanks for stopping by And I hope you enjoy your stay!

Followers

Monday, November 13, 2023

Movie Monday with Fred- Evil Dead Rise (2023)


 This Monday Fred recommends: Evil Dead Rise (2023)

Even though I think it may be the weakest, this series doesn't have a single bad entry!


A family reunion is cut short when demons are unleashed in their dilapidated apartment building

 

As I said before this is by no means a bad movie. It's was actually quite a bit of fun! It's just that I feel this is the weakest entry we've gotten so far. The movie feels at odds with itself when it comes to its tone. For a while it felt like they were going to play it pretty serious but after things get going, there are a few gags thrown in that make it more tongue-in-cheek. Never hitting the serious, grim tone of the 2013 remake; but also not hitting the campy, over-the-top nature of  Evil Dead II (1987). And with the story involving kids, it felt like they were slightly pulling their punches with how far they took the carnage-candy. That being said though, there's still quite a bit of the red stuff being splattered on screen! And I love the change of location from a cabin in the woods to a rundown apartment building! It really helps this one standout from the rest of the series. Though, I do wish they did a little more with it; they mention Room 82 and the state that it's in, but it's never seen or used. And lastly, I love the design of the lead Deadite here, probably one of the more unsettling designs for the franchise!

 
The cast is mostly unknowns, but they all do a pretty good job with their characters. With the standout being Alyssa Sutherland, as Ellie. She plays the mom turned lead Deadite and her performance was a blast to watch! And behind the camera you have both Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert as producers. And they help to give the film a little more authenticity!


All-in-all it's still a fun movie and I can't wait to re-watch it and add it into my Halloween rotation!

But what do you think? Have you seen Evil Dead Rise (2023)? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

Until next time I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment